Deschamps hails France resolve after late draw with Spain
France coach Didier Deschamps praised his side`s performance after securing a 1-1 draw against world champions Spain in Group I of World Cup qualifying on Tuesday evening.
Vicente del Bosque`s side took the lead in the 25th minute courtesy of Sergio Ramos` close-range finish, before Cesc Fabregas` penalty was saved by captain Hugo Lloris.
Les Bleus improved after the break, and after spurning a couple of opportunities, they were rewarded with a dramatic equaliser with the last move of the game as Olivier Giroud stunned the hosts with a 93rd minute header.
The former Olympique de Marseille boss spoke positively about his side`s second-half improvement, and insists he is happy with a point.
"It was a very good second-half. We created a lot of opportunities, even if at times we looked for passes when we were in a position to strike," the 44-year-old told TF1.
"But there was much suffering [from] this Spain team in the second-half. Seeing their journey and their results at home, we are happy to take a point. It rewards the group because it is not easy."
Meanwhile, Giroud, who netted the decisive equaliser, was also pleased with his dramatic intervention, and said that the result was deserved.
"We believed until the end, it is something extraordinary [coming] back from a game like this because we had opportunities throughout the game," he added.
"This is really deserved because the whole group remained supportive. Today, it is me who made the difference and it`s nice because I only played five minutes. It was a really good [match] and we all believed until the end."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why