Deschamps was more important than Zidane: Lillian Thuram
Paris: France legend Lillian Thuram says former team-mate Didier Deschamps was more integral to the French national team`s success than Zinedine Zidane.
All three played a prominent role in France`s World Cup and European Championship glory in 1998 and 2000, but Thuram believes the contribution of Deschamps is unparalleled to any other - even their famous number 10.
"Deschamps is a great coach. He was a great player, he has won everything and he knows what it takes to get to the top," he said.
"In World Cup 1998 and in Euro 2000, we had a genius in the form of Zidane, but the key was Didier."
Deschamps, now coach of the national team, welcomes Spain to Paris on Tuesday in a key World Cup qualifier which could determine who secures automatic World Cup qualification.
And Thuram, who ended his playing days in Barcelona, went on to highlight what he believes to be the fundamental difference between France and the European Champions.
"To play football and win, you need players who have can use their heads," Thuram said.
"When I arrived in Barcelona, I enjoyed playing with people balanced and normal: (Carles) Puyol, (Victor) Valdes (and Andres) Iniesta. This is because they are not footballers who think they are the centre of the world."
"The French, however, have forgotten how to be humble. The humility to understand that when you play for the France team, it is something much more important than your own self."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA