Deschamps was more important than Zidane: Lillian Thuram
Paris: France legend Lillian Thuram says former team-mate Didier Deschamps was more integral to the French national team`s success than Zinedine Zidane.
All three played a prominent role in France`s World Cup and European Championship glory in 1998 and 2000, but Thuram believes the contribution of Deschamps is unparalleled to any other - even their famous number 10.
"Deschamps is a great coach. He was a great player, he has won everything and he knows what it takes to get to the top," he said.
"In World Cup 1998 and in Euro 2000, we had a genius in the form of Zidane, but the key was Didier."
Deschamps, now coach of the national team, welcomes Spain to Paris on Tuesday in a key World Cup qualifier which could determine who secures automatic World Cup qualification.
And Thuram, who ended his playing days in Barcelona, went on to highlight what he believes to be the fundamental difference between France and the European Champions.
"To play football and win, you need players who have can use their heads," Thuram said.
"When I arrived in Barcelona, I enjoyed playing with people balanced and normal: (Carles) Puyol, (Victor) Valdes (and Andres) Iniesta. This is because they are not footballers who think they are the centre of the world."
"The French, however, have forgotten how to be humble. The humility to understand that when you play for the France team, it is something much more important than your own self."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi