Di Matteo unfazed by speculation linking Guardiola with Chelsea
London: Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has said speculation linking former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola with the Blues doesn’t affects him, and added that he is very confident of his abilities.
The Champions League-winning manager also rebuffed suggestions that he is just keeping the Chelsea hot-seat warm for the Spaniard.
Di Matteo was confirmed as permanent Blues boss last month, almost four weeks after lifting the European Cup in Munich’s Allianz Arena.
But he only got the nod after Guardiola made it clear to Chelsea’s billionaire owner Roman Abramovich that he is taking a yearlong sabbatical of football.
Now seasoned Chelsea watchers reckon Guardiola could be parachuted in at Stamford Bridge next summer, despite Di Matteo signing a two-year contract worth 60,000 pound a week.
“I don’t feel any shadow above me or behind me. There has been speculation about other managers since day one and I have always lived with it pretty well. Everyone can say what they want,” a daily quoted Di Matteo, as saying.
“I will just focus on my job and try to do the best I can. I’m pretty happy with my new contract and that’s why I signed it. But I have been in football all my life and I understand how this business works,” he added.
“I clearly know that managers are judged by results. It’s no different for me than anyone else. The pressure is always there. Chelsea are always looking to win things and last season was not easy even if the end of the campaign was a pretty fantastic time,” he said.
Di Matteo further said: “There were never any doubts for me and I’m very happy to be here. Now I’m looking forward to working with this group of players and bringing more success to the club.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what