Didier Drogba joins Galatasaray
Istanbul: Galatasaray have announced the signing of Didier Drogba from Shanghai Shenhua on a one-and-a-half-year contract.
The Chelsea legend has long been linked with a return to Europe after leaving Stamford Bridge for China in the summer, and, despite rumours of interest from Italy, the Turkish champions have won the race for his signature.
"Big clubs can reach for higher targets with bigger goals," the club`s president Unal Aysal commented on the deal.
"Drogba said that he was very happy to play for a big club like Galatasaray in the future. Drogba met our coach and decided to come to Galatasaray."
On Twitter, Drogba told his PR company: "The opportunity to play for this great club was an offer that I could not turn down.
"I am looking forward to playing in the Champions League again, against the best clubs in Europe."
The Cote d`Ivoire icon will earn €2 million for the remainder of the 2012-13 season, and €4m for the duration of the 2013-14 campaign, with an additional bonus of €15,000 for each match he plays.
Both AC Milan and Juventus had been closely linked with a January move for Drogba, but Gala announced yesterday that they had opened talks with the player.
He will link up with his new team-mates once Cote d`Ivoire`s involvement at the Africa Cup of Nations ends.
Drogba is the second star name to move to the Turk Telekom Arena this January, with Wesley Sneijder making the switch from Inter to Istanbul last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...