Diego Maradona arrives in India
Kannur: Soccer legend Diego Maradona arrived here to a tumultuous welcome from thousands of football crazy fans from all over the state.
The Argentine World Cup winning captain is in the State for tomorrow`s inauguration of a new showroom.
Maradona, on a two-day trip to the state, arrived by a chartered helicopter from Nedumabassery International airport at Kochi.
Tight security was in place in the city, which saw a festive atmosphere with hundreds of fans pouring in from Kozhikode, Malappuram and Kasargod districts.
About 2000 police personnel were enlisted for security.
Maradona, who led Argentina to a World Cup triumph in 1986, waved to the crowds after landing at Kannur, a city which has hosted many international and national soccer tournaments.
The FIFA player of the 20th century along with Pele in 2000, had come to India once before for a function in Kolkata in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka