Diego Maradona arrives in India
Kannur: Soccer legend Diego Maradona arrived here to a tumultuous welcome from thousands of football crazy fans from all over the state.
The Argentine World Cup winning captain is in the State for tomorrow`s inauguration of a new showroom.
Maradona, on a two-day trip to the state, arrived by a chartered helicopter from Nedumabassery International airport at Kochi.
Tight security was in place in the city, which saw a festive atmosphere with hundreds of fans pouring in from Kozhikode, Malappuram and Kasargod districts.
About 2000 police personnel were enlisted for security.
Maradona, who led Argentina to a World Cup triumph in 1986, waved to the crowds after landing at Kannur, a city which has hosted many international and national soccer tournaments.
The FIFA player of the 20th century along with Pele in 2000, had come to India once before for a function in Kolkata in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef