Doesn`t matter if we`re 18 points behind United: Mancini
London: Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has conceded that the gap between themselves and rivals United at the top of the table is immaterial, and that finishing in second place is now all that matters.
The Italian watched his side claim a battling 2-1 win over the Red Devils on Monday evening, with Sergio Aguero scoring a magnificent solo effort to seal victory for the visitors at Old Trafford.
United remain 12 points clear at the top, however, and Mancini is adamant that finishing above the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham, rather than pushing Sir Alex Ferguson`s side in the title race, is all that matters.
"What`s important is only for the second position," Mancini told Sky Sports. "Fifteen, twelve, eighteen [points behind] - it doesn`t change anything. They scored more points than us [over the season], this is the difference," Mancini told Sky Sports.
"We are happy. It`s normal. We played good football - we are happy because we played very well. We deserved to win.
"I think that every time that we play United - in the last game I think we dominated that game and we lost. In the end I don`t know how that was possible but that`s football.
"Today`s the same. We played football, we played very well, we deserved to win. We only conceded the goal because we didn`t pay attention and didn`t mark very well. After that we didn`t take any risks."
The City boss went on to insist that his side deserve to be closer to United in the table, adding: "It was important [the victory] for us for the second position but I think we showed that we don`t deserve to stay 15 points behind but this is football.
"They have more authority in this championship because they`ve won a lot of games. Instead, we lost points when we deserved to win and we didn`t score but today we showed that we deserve to be closer to them.
When asked if the title race was done and dusted, despite City`s victory, Mancini concluded: "Yes, it`s finished. It`s finished."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly