Dominant Hoffenheim crush Werder Bremen 4-1
Sinsheim: Hoffenheim fought back from an early goal down to strike four times in 23 minutes and crush Werder Bremen 4-1 on Saturday, in an impressive show of attacking football at the start of the season.
Werder, on course to qualify for the Champions League group stage after beating Italy`s Sampdoria 3-1 in the first leg of a playoff, took a third minute lead when captain Torsten Frings converted a penalty awarded for handball.
The hosts then burst into action, netting four goals before the break through Demba Ba, teenager Peniel Mlapa, Vedad Ibisevic and a well-struck Sejad Salihovic free kick as their opponents imploded on the first matchday of the new season.
Champions Bayern Munich needed a stoppage time goal from Bastian Schweinsteiger to beat VfL Wolfsburg 2-1 on Friday in the season opener.
Schalke 04, last season`s runners-up, take on Hamburg SV later on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar