Dortmund, Leverkusen lose ground in Bundesliga
Berlin: Dortmund and Leverkusen were unable to hold the pace with Bayern Munich in Bundesliga football, as Dortmund shared points with Monchengladbach and Leverkusen were held to a goalless draw with Greuther Fuerth.
Monchengladbach denied titleholders, and second placed Dortmund a victory owing to the 1-1 equaliser by youngster Amin Younes Sunday, Xinhua reports.
Dortmund took over from kick off as the hosts focused on their defence. Yet the visitors were unable to threat Monchengladbach`s well positioned defence and that`s why a penalty ensured the opener for the visitors.
A through ball by Marco Reus found Mario Goetze who was brought down by Monchengladbach keeper Marc Andre ter Stegen inside the box. Goetze stepped up and converted the penalty successful in the 31st minute.
Despite the deficit Monchengladbach did not back off from their defensively minded strategy. Thus Dortmund kept things firmly in their hands, as chances by the host`s remained a rarity.
Things changed at the second half as the "Foals" gained a foothold into the match to level the scores to astonish wasteful Dortmund. Youngster Younes equalised with a deflected shot on target to beat Dortmund keeper Roman Weidenfeller in the 67th minute.
Both sides had their chances to wrap up a late victory but "Gladbachs" Peniel Mlapa as well as Dortmund`s Sebastian Kehl squandered golden chances.
Dortmund stay second place with 43 points, 17 points adrift of Bayern, and Monchengladbach remain in 10th position with 31 points.
Elsewhere, relegation threatened Greuther Fuerth craved out a goalless draw with third placed Leverkusen.
However, Greuther Fuerth reside at the bottom of the standing with only 13 points while Leverkusen failed to take over second position with 42 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE