Dortmund, Leverkusen lose ground in Bundesliga
Berlin: Dortmund and Leverkusen were unable to hold the pace with Bayern Munich in Bundesliga football, as Dortmund shared points with Monchengladbach and Leverkusen were held to a goalless draw with Greuther Fuerth.
Monchengladbach denied titleholders, and second placed Dortmund a victory owing to the 1-1 equaliser by youngster Amin Younes Sunday, Xinhua reports.
Dortmund took over from kick off as the hosts focused on their defence. Yet the visitors were unable to threat Monchengladbach`s well positioned defence and that`s why a penalty ensured the opener for the visitors.
A through ball by Marco Reus found Mario Goetze who was brought down by Monchengladbach keeper Marc Andre ter Stegen inside the box. Goetze stepped up and converted the penalty successful in the 31st minute.
Despite the deficit Monchengladbach did not back off from their defensively minded strategy. Thus Dortmund kept things firmly in their hands, as chances by the host`s remained a rarity.
Things changed at the second half as the "Foals" gained a foothold into the match to level the scores to astonish wasteful Dortmund. Youngster Younes equalised with a deflected shot on target to beat Dortmund keeper Roman Weidenfeller in the 67th minute.
Both sides had their chances to wrap up a late victory but "Gladbachs" Peniel Mlapa as well as Dortmund`s Sebastian Kehl squandered golden chances.
Dortmund stay second place with 43 points, 17 points adrift of Bayern, and Monchengladbach remain in 10th position with 31 points.
Elsewhere, relegation threatened Greuther Fuerth craved out a goalless draw with third placed Leverkusen.
However, Greuther Fuerth reside at the bottom of the standing with only 13 points while Leverkusen failed to take over second position with 42 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!