Dortmund reclaim Bundesliga summit after Stuttgart rout
Dortmund: Borussia Dortmund reclaimed the Bundesliga summit on Friday, Jurgen Klopp`s side going two points clear of Bayern Munich on the back of an impressive 6-1 win over Stuttgart.
Stuttgart arrived at the Champions League runners-up in buoyant form, unbeaten in seven league outings.
And number eight was on the cards when their Tunisian defender Karim Haggui put them in front before the quarter of an hour.
But that was to be Stuttgart`s only high point as it was all one way traffic in Dortmund`s favour from then on.
Greek international Sokratis Papastathopoulos started the rout, drawing the hosts back level on 19 minutes, with Marco Reus`s 22nd minute contribution giving them the lead.
A second half hat-trick from Robert Lewandowski killed off the game, with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang getting his name on the scoring charts with nine minutes remaining.
This silky win capped a superb end of October for Dortmund with Lewandowski`s goal sealing victory over Arsenal in the Champions League, followed by victory over Schalke in the Ruhr derby, Klopp`s contract extension until 2018 and now this Stuttgart success.
Under Klopp, they have now won 107 out of 181 league matches, just one shy of the record set by former coach Ottmar Hitzfeld, who won 108 out of 208 matches and led the club to their only Champions League success in 1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145