Dortmund`s Juergen Klopp rues missed chances after Real drubbing
Madrid: Borussia Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp was left rueing mistakes and missed chances as he dismissed suggestions his team had been outplayed in Wednesday`s 3-0 Champions League reverse at Real Madrid.
Dortmund were punished by Gareth Bale`s third-minute opener after leaving too much space between the lines, Klopp complained at a news conference after the quarter-final, first leg at the Bernabeu.
They gifted Real their second and third goals, scored by Isco and Cristiano Ronaldo, after needlessly surrendering possession.
The Dortmund coach refused to concede defeat ahead of Tuesday`s return match in Germany but admitted Real, chasing a record-extending 10th European title, were very likely to claim a berth in the last four for a fourth straight season.
"In the second half we had so many chances and we didn`t take any of them," Klopp, whose side knocked Real out in last season`s semi-finals, told a news conference.
"But I know that this team can do it better and that`s what I have to think about," added the 46-year-old.
"What is important is that we are clear about why this result happened and make sure we get a better one in the next match."
Dortmund have been ravaged by injuries to key players this term and were also missing suspended Poland forward Robert Lewandowski, who put four goals past Real in last season`s semi-final, first leg.
By contrast Real, the world`s richest club by income, spent a record 100 million euros on Bale in the close season, when they also strengthened their squad by signing Isco from Malaga.
However, Klopp insisted that Wednesday`s defeat had nothing to do with any difference in quality between the two teams.
"We should never have conceded any of the goals tonight," he told reporters.
"We got to where we wanted to be in their penalty area but we couldn`t put the ball in the net.
"In all probability Real are in the semi-finals but there is still one more match to play.
"It`s my job to hope for things. The only thing I can say is we`ll be there."
The team that qualifies will go into the draw for the last four to be held on April 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!