Dresden to meet Dortmund in German Cup
Berlin: Giant-killers Dynamo Dresden have the chance to claim another major scalp when they face Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund in the second round of the German Cup.
Having come from 3-0 down in the first-round to shock Bayer Leverkusen 4-3 in Dresden, the second-division side will face Dortmund away when the second round takes place on the nights of October 25 or 26.
"What a shock, this is madness!" said Dresden coach Ralf Loose after hearing the draw.
"We have drawn the hardest team from the pot."
Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp, whose side opened their defence of the German league title with a 3-1 win over Hamburg on Friday, admitted he is wary of Dresden.
"As we all saw in Dresden against Leverkusen, anything is possible in the cup," he said.
Loose certainly had a tough time on Saturday as his Dresden team lost 1-0 in the second division to SpVgg Greuther and had two players sent off.
Dresden defender Alex Schnetzler, who scored the dramatic winning goal against Leverkusen, said his side are relishing facing the German champions.
"There are worse things. We will rise to the occasion," said the 32-year-old.
Cup-holders Schalke also face second division opposition in Karlsruhe, while Bavarian giants Bayern Munich face Ingolstadt, also from Germany`s second tier.
There will be two all-Bundesliga clashes with Hoffenheim home to Cologne and Hanover hosting Mainz.
Third-division Heidenheim, who beat Werder Bremen in the first round, have the chance to claim another Bundesliga scalp when they host Borussia Moenchengladbach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town