Dresden to meet Dortmund in German Cup
Berlin: Giant-killers Dynamo Dresden have the chance to claim another major scalp when they face Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund in the second round of the German Cup.
Having come from 3-0 down in the first-round to shock Bayer Leverkusen 4-3 in Dresden, the second-division side will face Dortmund away when the second round takes place on the nights of October 25 or 26.
"What a shock, this is madness!" said Dresden coach Ralf Loose after hearing the draw.
"We have drawn the hardest team from the pot."
Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp, whose side opened their defence of the German league title with a 3-1 win over Hamburg on Friday, admitted he is wary of Dresden.
"As we all saw in Dresden against Leverkusen, anything is possible in the cup," he said.
Loose certainly had a tough time on Saturday as his Dresden team lost 1-0 in the second division to SpVgg Greuther and had two players sent off.
Dresden defender Alex Schnetzler, who scored the dramatic winning goal against Leverkusen, said his side are relishing facing the German champions.
"There are worse things. We will rise to the occasion," said the 32-year-old.
Cup-holders Schalke also face second division opposition in Karlsruhe, while Bavarian giants Bayern Munich face Ingolstadt, also from Germany`s second tier.
There will be two all-Bundesliga clashes with Hoffenheim home to Cologne and Hanover hosting Mainz.
Third-division Heidenheim, who beat Werder Bremen in the first round, have the chance to claim another Bundesliga scalp when they host Borussia Moenchengladbach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog