Dundee United hold Dynamo to draw in Europa League
London: A stoppage-time goal from Russia international striker Alexander Kokorin rescued a 2-2 draw for Dynamo Moscow away at Dundee United in the Europa football league.
The hosts came close to a famous victory at Tannadice Park before Kokorin levelled the scores with a 20-yard screamer deep into added time in Thursday`s game.
The result leaves Dynamo in a strong position for next Thursday`s second leg in Russia, with two away goals meaning that their Scottish visitors will have to win or secure a draw of 2-2 or greater to have any chance of progressing.
Former Cardiff City winger Willo Flood opened the scoring for the hosts on 36 minutes, shedding his marker Marko Lomic before sending a low shot into Anton Shunin`s net.
Dynamo struck back five minutes after the break through Igor Semshov, one of four players in the side who had played at Euro 2012, as the midfielder headed a cross from Kokorin past Dundee United goalkeeper Radoslav Cierznak, making his debut for the Tangerines.
A tap-in from defender Keith Watson restored the hosts` lead on 76 minutes after he picked up the ball in the six-yard box from a Gary Steven corner.
Before Watson`s goal, Dundee United had chances to extend their lead as Gary Mackay-Steven and John Rankin sent a steady stream of shots at Shunin`s goal.
Dynamo missed chances of their own, with ex-Germany striker Kevin Kuranyi heading wide twice in the first half and forcing a save from Cierznak shortly after Semshov`s equalizer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare