Dutch football club Veendam bankrupt
The Hague: Dutch second-level club SC Veendam was declared bankrupt Monday, which means Dutch football loses yet another professional club.
Veendam suffered from financial problems for a while and asked for a moratorium two weeks ago. An attempt for a final rescue plane failed, as the club was not able to collect over one million euros to pay its debts.
After an eight-day appeal period the club will be officially declared bankrupt and all results of Veendam in the Jupiler League will be deleted. Veendam is currently tenth in the second Dutch league, which will continue with sixteen teams.
Veendam was founded in 1894 and played professional football since 1954. In the 1986/1987 and 1988/1989 seasons the club from the northern province of Groningen played at the highest level, the Eredivisie league.
Former Dutch internationals Frans de Munck, Dick Nanninga, Jurrie Koolhof, Pieter Huistra, Hennie Meijer all played for Veendam, while current international Ruben Schaken also has a history at the bankrupt club.
The bankruptcy of Veendam is already the fourth in Dutch pro football in three years, following AGOVV Apeldoorn (2013), HFC Haarlem (2010) and RBC Roosendaal (2011). The Dutch Second Divison will continue with 17 clubs and the results against AGOVV will be scrapped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?