Dutch soccer club Veendam bankrupt
The Hague: Dutch soccer lost another professional club after second division outfit SC Veendam was declared bankrupt.
Veendam suffered from financial problems for a while and asked for a moratorium two weeks ago. An attempt for a final rescue plan failed, as the club was not able to collect over one million euros USD 1.3 million) to pay its debts and survive.
After an eight-day appeal period the club will be officially declared bankrupt and all results of Veendam in the Jupiler League will be deleted. Veendam is currently tenth in the second Dutch league, which will continue with sixteen teams.
Veendam was founded in 1894 and are playing professional football since 1954. In the 1986-1987 and 1988-1989 seasons the club from the northern province of Groningen played on the highest Dutch level, the Eredivisie.
Former Dutch internationals Frans de Munck, Dick Nanninga, Jurrie Koolhof, Pieter Huistra, Hennie Meijer all played for Veendam, while current international Ruben Schaken also has a history at the bankrupt club.
The bankruptcy of Veendam is already the fourth in Dutch pro soccer in three years, following AGOVV Apeldoorn (2013), HFC Haarlem (2010) and RBC Roosendaal (2011). The Dutch Second Divison will now continue with 17 clubs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video