Dutch striker Kuyt has serious ankle injury, says coach
Netherlands striker Dirk Kuyt was taken to hospital on Tuesday with a serious ankle injury sustained during their Euro 2012 qualifier against Sweden.
The Liverpool forward had to come off just before the half-hour mark in the Group E match when he landed awkwardly after jumping for a ball with Sweden`s Daniel Majstorovic.
"Dirk wanted to play on but our doctor prevented that and told me to substitute him," Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk told a news conference after his side`s 4-1 win.
"He is now in a hospital but following the doctor`s first opinion it could be very serious and keep him sidelined for a long time."
The unlucky Kuyt had to pull out of the squad preparing for Euro 2012 qualifying matches in September after injuring his shoulder during a training session with the national team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’