Dutch striker Kuyt has serious ankle injury, says coach
Netherlands striker Dirk Kuyt was taken to hospital on Tuesday with a serious ankle injury sustained during their Euro 2012 qualifier against Sweden.
The Liverpool forward had to come off just before the half-hour mark in the Group E match when he landed awkwardly after jumping for a ball with Sweden`s Daniel Majstorovic.
"Dirk wanted to play on but our doctor prevented that and told me to substitute him," Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk told a news conference after his side`s 4-1 win.
"He is now in a hospital but following the doctor`s first opinion it could be very serious and keep him sidelined for a long time."
The unlucky Kuyt had to pull out of the squad preparing for Euro 2012 qualifying matches in September after injuring his shoulder during a training session with the national team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Centre, CBSE propose NEET schedule; exam may be conducted in two phases
- North Korea's mid-range missile launch appears to have failed
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi may be summoned for questioning
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants face gigantic task of taming Suresh Raina's rampaging Gujarat Lions
- Thailand faces longest heatwave in 65 years