Dynamo win at Celtic, no mistake for Olympiakos
London: Dynamo Moscow reaped the benefit of the Champions League qualifiers coming midway through their season when they beat a rusty-looking Celtic 1-0 in Glasgow in the first leg of their third round tie.
The match was Celtic`s first competitive outing while Dynamo have played 15 league games so far and the difference was evident throughout.
The Russians looked more lively from the start and scored their goal after seven minutes when Alexander Kokorin reacted quickly to turn in a low cross from close range.
Dynamo remained the better team and though Celtic striker Marc-Antoine Fortune had several good chances to level, the hosts, playing their first competitive game under new coach Tony Mowbray, looked disjointed and will need to change their terrible away form in Europe in they are to turn things round and get through to the playoffs for a place in the group phase.
Olympiakos Piraeus look to have avoided a repeat of last year`s early exit when they secured a 2-0 lead from the away leg at Slovan Bratislava.
Last season Olympiakos lost 3-1 on aggregate to Cypriot outsiders Anorthosis Famagusta at the same stage and missed out on the Champions League group phase for the first time in 12 years.
In their first competitive outing of this season, Olympiakos settled their nerves when Avraam Papadopoulos put them ahead after two minutes and Brazilian Leonardo got the important second after 21 minutes.
This year`s "toast of Cyprus" could be Apoel Nicosia after they beat visiting Partizan Belgrade 2-0 with second-half goals from former Partizan striker Nenad Mirosavljevic and Marcin Zewlakow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- PM Modi saved cameraman from being washed away in Gujarat
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium