East Bengal back on track, thrash Arrows 3-0
Kalyani: East Bengal today ended their first phase campaign on a winning note blanking Pailan Arrows 3-0 to revive their I-League title hopes.
After a jittery start, East Bengal drew the first blood in the 44th minute when Robin Singh`s left-footer went in.
East Bengal completely dominated the proceedings in the second-half with captain Sanju Pradhan striking a double (55th and 86th minute) to hand them their first win after four matches.
Their last win had come more than a month ago in the 8th round when they defeated Salgaocar by a solitary goal more than a month ago.
East Bengal now have 24 points from 12 matches, while the AIFF developmental outfit remained on 14.
The Trevor Morgan side had their first shot at goal in the seventh minute when Edeh Chidi took a Pradhan cross but only to hit the post.
Minutes later, Singh too squandered a fine chance as East Bengal struggled to get the going tough against their young rivals at the Kalyani Stadium here.
But their fortunes changed at the stroke of halftime when Chidi set it up as Singh made full use of it with a left-footer.
It was a different looking East Bengal on display after the changeover as looked to mount pressure on the Arrows.
First, goalkeeper Abhijit Mondal thwarted a fine attempt of Arrows, and minutes later Pradhan struck beautifully with a long ranger to give them 2-0 lead.
Pradhan completed the tally with another long-ranger afer utilising a Penn Orji pass to hand the red and gold brigade three points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees