East Bengal back on track, thrash Arrows 3-0
Kalyani: East Bengal today ended their first phase campaign on a winning note blanking Pailan Arrows 3-0 to revive their I-League title hopes.
After a jittery start, East Bengal drew the first blood in the 44th minute when Robin Singh`s left-footer went in.
East Bengal completely dominated the proceedings in the second-half with captain Sanju Pradhan striking a double (55th and 86th minute) to hand them their first win after four matches.
Their last win had come more than a month ago in the 8th round when they defeated Salgaocar by a solitary goal more than a month ago.
East Bengal now have 24 points from 12 matches, while the AIFF developmental outfit remained on 14.
The Trevor Morgan side had their first shot at goal in the seventh minute when Edeh Chidi took a Pradhan cross but only to hit the post.
Minutes later, Singh too squandered a fine chance as East Bengal struggled to get the going tough against their young rivals at the Kalyani Stadium here.
But their fortunes changed at the stroke of halftime when Chidi set it up as Singh made full use of it with a left-footer.
It was a different looking East Bengal on display after the changeover as looked to mount pressure on the Arrows.
First, goalkeeper Abhijit Mondal thwarted a fine attempt of Arrows, and minutes later Pradhan struck beautifully with a long ranger to give them 2-0 lead.
Pradhan completed the tally with another long-ranger afer utilising a Penn Orji pass to hand the red and gold brigade three points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt