East Bengal face Vietnam outfit tomorrow
Kolkata: Unbeaten East Bengal will look to top group H before the knockouts as they face Vietnam oufit Sai Gon Xuan Thanh in their last league match of the AFC Cup here on Monday.
East Bengal have already qualified for the prequarterfinals as they lead the table with 11 points, while the Vietnam outfit lie second with eight points.
A draw will be enough for the red and gold brigade to top the pool that will ensure that the knock-out match will be held at home.
"Getting a point is very important as it would help us play the prequarterfinal here," coach Trevor Morgan said today.
East Bengal will have to do away with key playmaker Mehtab Hossain and Manandeep Singh who have been booked for the match.
If they keep their unbeaten record intact, East Bengal will become the first team from India to qualify for the knock-out withouting losing a match.
The first-leg match between the two teams had ended in a goalless draw as Morgan`s side would be keen on logging three points at the Vivekananda Yubabharati Krirangan.
The Vietnam outfit will also be keen to score a point which will ensure qualification as the second best team.
"Our boys are confident. We will hope to get at least a draw," head coach Tran Tien Tai said.
Sai Gon Xuan Thanh are three points clear of Malaysian outfit Selangor who play Tampines Rovers in Singapore in the another match on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'