East Bengal face Vietnam outfit tomorrow
Kolkata: Unbeaten East Bengal will look to top group H before the knockouts as they face Vietnam oufit Sai Gon Xuan Thanh in their last league match of the AFC Cup here on Monday.
East Bengal have already qualified for the prequarterfinals as they lead the table with 11 points, while the Vietnam outfit lie second with eight points.
A draw will be enough for the red and gold brigade to top the pool that will ensure that the knock-out match will be held at home.
"Getting a point is very important as it would help us play the prequarterfinal here," coach Trevor Morgan said today.
East Bengal will have to do away with key playmaker Mehtab Hossain and Manandeep Singh who have been booked for the match.
If they keep their unbeaten record intact, East Bengal will become the first team from India to qualify for the knock-out withouting losing a match.
The first-leg match between the two teams had ended in a goalless draw as Morgan`s side would be keen on logging three points at the Vivekananda Yubabharati Krirangan.
The Vietnam outfit will also be keen to score a point which will ensure qualification as the second best team.
"Our boys are confident. We will hope to get at least a draw," head coach Tran Tien Tai said.
Sai Gon Xuan Thanh are three points clear of Malaysian outfit Selangor who play Tampines Rovers in Singapore in the another match on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi