East Bengal felicitates Bachendri Pal, former players
Kolkata: Overwhelmed at receiving East Bengal`s highest honour, Bharat Gaurav, first Indian woman mountaineeer to scale Mount Everest, Bachendri Pal on Friday said the red-and-gold club`s rich history runs deeper than the highest peak in the world.
"East Bengal club`s history is older than that Mount Everest. I feel proud to receive the recognition from such a historical club," the 60-year-old said paying glowing tributes to the club after she was conferred Bharat Gaurav at East Bengal`s 95th foundation day celebrations here.
Bachendri, who heads the Tata Steel`s Adventure Foundation apart from being an instructor at the National Adventure Foundation, was given a cheque of Rs 2 lakh.
The club also felicitated former players Amal Dutta and Parimal Dey with Lifetime Achievement awards and current defender Arnab Mondal with the Player of the Year award in a glittering function at the Khudiram Anushilan Kendra.
Parimal received the recognition amid a commentary of his famous goal as a substitute in the dying minutes in the IFA Shield, 1970 final against PAS Club (Iran).
In a fitting gesture, club captain Harmonjyot Khabra handed over the Best Player of the Year award to Arnab Mondal.
East Bengal`s cricket team that won four out of five titles last season was also felicitated in the function.
East Bengal also honoured match referees Kalidas Mukherjee and Gopinath Pyne, sports journalist GC Das and photo journalist Nikhil Bhattacharjee in the annual function.
Bharat Gaurav: Bachendri Pal; Lifetime Achievement: Amal Dutta and Parimal Dey; Player of the Year: Arnab Mondal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir