East Bengal in IFA Shield semis
Kolkata: Former champions East Bengal stormed into the semi-finals of the 116th IFA Shield with an impressive 3-0 win over Shillong Lajong FC at the Yuba Bharati Kriranga here on Saturday.
In another group league match, Brazilian outfit Botafogo FR scored a 1-0 victory over a 10-man United Kerala at the Howrah Stadium.
A record 27 time winners East Bengal looked dominating from the beginning with Tolgay Ozbey giving an 18th minute lead.
The Australian recruit utilised a forward pass from Orji Penn as he beat Lajong defenders with his speed before a brilliant right foot finish.
Man of the match, Gurwinder Singh made it 2-0 from a Paite corner in the 75th minute, while in the 91st minute Robin Singh completed the rout with a left-footed shot as everything seemed perfect for the home giants.
East Bengal topped the group A league to make the last four and will take on the qualifiers from group C where it is a two-way race between Pune FC and AIFF side Pailan Arrows.
In the group B fixture, Alvez Oliviera struck in the dying minutes from a Joao Marcos pass to earn the crucial three points in their maiden outing here.
United Kerala were down to 10 players in the 61st minute after Veeneth got his second booking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed