East Bengal net New Zealander Bertos as marquee player
Kolkata: East Bengal has signed New Zealand world cupper Leonida Christos "Leo" Bertos as the football side’s marquee player for the 2014-15 I-League.
The 32-year-old attacking midfielder, who played in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, has signed a two-year contract with East Bengal, club sources said.
Bertos started his club career with Wellington Olympic in 1997, and later turned out for English clubs Barnsley, Chester City, Rochdale and Scarborough.
He was with Wellington Phoenix, before joining East Bengal.
Bertos made his international debut in a New Zealand-Iran friendly in 2003, and won 52 caps for his country.
He provided the assist which enabled Rory Fallon to score the winner against Bahrain in the double-legged play off match which helped New Zealand qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
He turned out for all the three matches, his team played in the group stage opposite Slovakia (1-1), Italy (1-1) and Paraguay (0-0).
Incidentally, New Zealand remained the only unbeaten side in the 2010 World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city