East Bengal net New Zealander Bertos as marquee player
Kolkata: East Bengal has signed New Zealand world cupper Leonida Christos "Leo" Bertos as the football side’s marquee player for the 2014-15 I-League.
The 32-year-old attacking midfielder, who played in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, has signed a two-year contract with East Bengal, club sources said.
Bertos started his club career with Wellington Olympic in 1997, and later turned out for English clubs Barnsley, Chester City, Rochdale and Scarborough.
He was with Wellington Phoenix, before joining East Bengal.
Bertos made his international debut in a New Zealand-Iran friendly in 2003, and won 52 caps for his country.
He provided the assist which enabled Rory Fallon to score the winner against Bahrain in the double-legged play off match which helped New Zealand qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
He turned out for all the three matches, his team played in the group stage opposite Slovakia (1-1), Italy (1-1) and Paraguay (0-0).
Incidentally, New Zealand remained the only unbeaten side in the 2010 World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it