East Bengal pip Bhowanipore Club 2-1
Kolkata: A double strike from Robin Singh helped East Bengal pip Bhowanipore Club 2-1 in the 116th IFA Shield opener at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan on Saturday.
The record 27-time champions started their campaign on an attacking note with the Delhi striker giving the lead from a Tolgay Ozbey pass in the fifth minute.
But Bhowanipore did well to counter East Bengal attack and brought on the equaliser in 10 minutes when Biswajit Biswas scored from a corner.
East Bengal failed to come up with their usual flair as both teams were locked 1-1 at the end of the first half.
But before it could go out of their hand, Robin brought on the winner with a brilliant right-footer seven minutes after the changeover to give East Bengal full points from the Group A league match.
United Kerala face Southern Samity in Group B at Howrah Stadium, while Pune FC take on Pailan Arrows at the East Bengal ground in Group C in tomorrow`s fixtures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’