East Bengal pip Bhowanipore Club 2-1
Kolkata: A double strike from Robin Singh helped East Bengal pip Bhowanipore Club 2-1 in the 116th IFA Shield opener at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan on Saturday.
The record 27-time champions started their campaign on an attacking note with the Delhi striker giving the lead from a Tolgay Ozbey pass in the fifth minute.
But Bhowanipore did well to counter East Bengal attack and brought on the equaliser in 10 minutes when Biswajit Biswas scored from a corner.
East Bengal failed to come up with their usual flair as both teams were locked 1-1 at the end of the first half.
But before it could go out of their hand, Robin brought on the winner with a brilliant right-footer seven minutes after the changeover to give East Bengal full points from the Group A league match.
United Kerala face Southern Samity in Group B at Howrah Stadium, while Pune FC take on Pailan Arrows at the East Bengal ground in Group C in tomorrow`s fixtures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter