East Bengal sign Aussie striker Andrew Barisic
New Delhi: Kolkata giants East Bengal, currently placed third in the I-League, have bolstered their attack by signing Australian striker Andrew Barisic.
The Canberra-born 26-year-old striker is excited about the opportunity in India and feels it will add new dimensions to his game.
"I can`t wait to just get over there. The opportunity came, and I can`t wait." Barisic told `goal.Com` ahead of his departure for India.
The former Gold Coast United forward played for Malang based-Indonesian outfit Arema in the 2011-12 season of the Indonesian Premier League.
Barisic requires an international transfer certificate from Arema before his can make his debut for East Bengal when the transfer window reopens on January 15.
Barisic`s move to East Bengal had been in the pipeline since November, with the club bringing him over for a trial earlier in the season.
Barisic will also look to emulate countryman Tolgay Ozbey`s goalscoring exploits at the club. Ozbey had scored 35 times for the club before moving to city rivals Mohun Bagan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside