East Bengal sign Aussie striker Andrew Barisic
New Delhi: Kolkata giants East Bengal, currently placed third in the I-League, have bolstered their attack by signing Australian striker Andrew Barisic.
The Canberra-born 26-year-old striker is excited about the opportunity in India and feels it will add new dimensions to his game.
"I can`t wait to just get over there. The opportunity came, and I can`t wait." Barisic told `goal.Com` ahead of his departure for India.
The former Gold Coast United forward played for Malang based-Indonesian outfit Arema in the 2011-12 season of the Indonesian Premier League.
Barisic requires an international transfer certificate from Arema before his can make his debut for East Bengal when the transfer window reopens on January 15.
Barisic`s move to East Bengal had been in the pipeline since November, with the club bringing him over for a trial earlier in the season.
Barisic will also look to emulate countryman Tolgay Ozbey`s goalscoring exploits at the club. Ozbey had scored 35 times for the club before moving to city rivals Mohun Bagan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister