East Bengal start I-League campaign in style
Shillong: AFC Cup semi-finalists East Bengal started their I-League campaign in style with a 4-0 thrashing of Shillong Lajong at the Nehru Stadium here Wednesday.
East Bengal, who are hoping to create history by qualifying for the AFC Cup final, wove their first chance when James Moga forced a save by Vinay Singh in the ninth minute.
Thereafter, the visitors piled on the pressure and were finally rewarded in the 20th minute when Moga nodded in past Vinay to open East Bengal’s account. Lajong responded almost instantly with a Subhash Singh scorcher, which flew over the crossbar.
It was East Bengal though who once again found the net through Chidi Edeh who latched on to a perfect pass from the wing to double the lead for his team. East Bengal coach Marcus Falopa then replaced the injured Vashum with Malsawtluanga in the 43rd minute.
That brought the first half to a close, with East Bengal clearly looking the more dangerous on the break. Crossing over, the Reds tried to pull back into the game, but in form Moga put the game beyond doubt when Calvin Lobo curled a beautiful ball past Vinay Singh into the far post to silenced the home crowd.
Man of the match Moga then completed the formalities with another sublime finish past the Lajong custodian to make it four for the day, in the 61st minute, to resign the Reds to their first loss to East Bengal at Shillong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks