East Bengal wary against Semen Padang in AFC quarters
Kolkata: Under their new Brazilian coach Marcos Falopa, East Bengal will face their first real test when they take on a spirited Semen Padang of Indonesia in the first leg of the AFC Cup quarterfinals here on Tuesday.
In his first big match after taking over the reins from a hugely successful Trevor Morgan, the East Bengal head coach would be under pressure as the Brazilian would look to prove a point by warding off the Indonesian outfit.
They may be debutants in this top-tier competition, but Padang, leaders in the ongoing Indonesian Premier League with 41 points from 16 matches, have plenty to offer against a team who are short on match practice.
Having just started the season with two local league matches, East Bengal would look to find the rhythm with a new combination under Falopa, a factor that may go against the red-and-gold brigade.
On the other hand, Padang players are fresh from their campaign in the Indonesian league as all eyes would be on their Liberian forward Edwar Junior Wilson.
He is their leading scorer in the AFC Cup with nine goals, while the Liberian tops the Indonesian Premier League with a tally of 18.
It will be a Wilson vs Uga Okpara battle in the backline as the Liberian forward, who was under Mohun Bagan`s radar, said:"He (Uga) is a good defender, I`ve seen him in the past. But I can tackle him."
Brimming confidence, Wilson further said: "We can log full points then why to think about a draw..."
Wilson slammed the turf yesterday, but made a U-turn today saying:"It appears to be good, we have experience of playing on all kinds of surface. It won`t be an issue."
He will be their main striker with Argentine Esteban Vizcarra not available for a double yellow, while South Korean midfielder Yu Hoon Koo and Cameroon defender David Pagbe are the other two foreigners.
Falopa is likely to field a 4-3-1-2 formation with a new forward line in Edeh Chidi and James Moga who switched over from Pune FC, while former Dempo medio Joaquim Abranches may be seen as a withdrawal striker.
Recovering from an injury, Ryuji Sueoka is uncertain but the Japanese is likely to be in substitution list.
Under Morgan, East Bengal had a historic unbeaten run in this year`s AFC Cup as they made the quarterfinals for the first time since 2004.
In 2008, Dempo had become the first Indian team to qualify for the AFC Cup semifinals.
In the AFC Cup group league stage, Padang had defeated Churchill Brothers 3-1 in their home match while drawing 2-2 in the away fixture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25