EB blank United SC to finish runners-up in I-League
Kolkata: Second-half goals by Abhishek Das, Edeh Chidi and substitute Seminlen Doungel helped East Bengal blank United SC 3-0 to secure I-League runners-up place for a third time in four seasons.
After a sluggish first-half, a couple of changes by East Bengal coach Armando Colaco brought in spark in the second-half with Abhishek giving a 64th minute lead after Abhijit Das misjudging the flight held the ball inside the goalline.
Then there was no looking back as Edeh Chidi doubled the lead from a solo effort in the 84th minute when he ran on the left, took his time and hit a swerving shot into the far post.
Doungel added to United`s woes with a 90th minute goal when the substitute deftly chipped the ball over the custodian to hand East Bengal their first win over the purple brigade in six I-League outings.
This was East Bengal`s fifth win from last six outings as the red-and-gold brigade ended their campaign on a high with 43, four points adrift I-League champions Bengaluru FC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened