EB blank United SC to finish runners-up in I-League
Kolkata: Second-half goals by Abhishek Das, Edeh Chidi and substitute Seminlen Doungel helped East Bengal blank United SC 3-0 to secure I-League runners-up place for a third time in four seasons.
After a sluggish first-half, a couple of changes by East Bengal coach Armando Colaco brought in spark in the second-half with Abhishek giving a 64th minute lead after Abhijit Das misjudging the flight held the ball inside the goalline.
Then there was no looking back as Edeh Chidi doubled the lead from a solo effort in the 84th minute when he ran on the left, took his time and hit a swerving shot into the far post.
Doungel added to United`s woes with a 90th minute goal when the substitute deftly chipped the ball over the custodian to hand East Bengal their first win over the purple brigade in six I-League outings.
This was East Bengal`s fifth win from last six outings as the red-and-gold brigade ended their campaign on a high with 43, four points adrift I-League champions Bengaluru FC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan