EB down Pune FC 3-1, title hunt on track
Kolkata: East Bengal jumped to the second place, four points shy of leaders Bengaluru FC with a game in hand, after a 3-1 victory over Pune FC in their I-League fixture at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan here on Saturday.
Lalrindika Ralte produced a spectacular double (43rd and 70th minutes) after Edeh Chidi gave an 18th minute lead to be the architects in their side`s win, while Pune FC reduced the margin through Mirjan Pavlovic (58th).
Unbeaten from eight matches, East Bengal`s third win on the trot for the first time since November 2012 has added spark to their title chase as they now travel to Churchill Brothers and Pune FC in two away matches before concluding their campaign in Kolkata against United SC. Chidi latched on to an easy ball after Pune FC defender Srikanth Ramu failed to intercept to strike home before Ralte doubled the lead just before the break.
Pune FC coach Mike Snoei responded, introducing Mirjan Pavlovic in place of Nicolau Borges as the Aussie recruit smashed the back of the net from acute angle to restore hope for a comeback at the hour mark.
Ralte sealed the issue with a powerful strike before Pune FC could pose further threat to hand East Bengal a hat-trick of wins for the first time this season. For Pune FC, the misery prolonged as they have earned just one point from four games as they slipped to sixth place with 31 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan