EB in semis; Bagan ride in Odafa five-star act
Siliguri/Kalyani: Defending champions East Bengal stormed into the semifinals of the 117th IFA Shield with a 2-0 win over United SC in Siliguri on Friday.
Edeh Chidi was the star of the match as he struck a double (51st and 75th) after a goalless first-half as East Bengal topped Group A with an all-win record from three matches of the quarterfinal league.
But the day belonged to Odafa Okolie who fired in five goals in another match at Kalyani to power Mohun Bagan to a 5-1 win over United Sikkim.
In the Group B quarterfinal league, the Nigerian `goal machine` opened the scoring in the 29th minute to give a 1-0 lead at halftime.
Goals rained after the break as Odafa toyed with United Sikkim defence, firing in four in 66th, 85th, 89th and 90+1st minutes.
The Bhaichung Bhutia-owned outfit pulled one back when their Spanish recruit Bablo Aracil scored in the 71st minute.
This was Mohun Bagan`s second successive win in the group league after their 3-0 victory over Pune FC as they virtually sealed a semifinal berth, leading the table with six points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming