EB in semis; Bagan ride in Odafa five-star act
Siliguri/Kalyani: Defending champions East Bengal stormed into the semifinals of the 117th IFA Shield with a 2-0 win over United SC in Siliguri on Friday.
Edeh Chidi was the star of the match as he struck a double (51st and 75th) after a goalless first-half as East Bengal topped Group A with an all-win record from three matches of the quarterfinal league.
But the day belonged to Odafa Okolie who fired in five goals in another match at Kalyani to power Mohun Bagan to a 5-1 win over United Sikkim.
In the Group B quarterfinal league, the Nigerian `goal machine` opened the scoring in the 29th minute to give a 1-0 lead at halftime.
Goals rained after the break as Odafa toyed with United Sikkim defence, firing in four in 66th, 85th, 89th and 90+1st minutes.
The Bhaichung Bhutia-owned outfit pulled one back when their Spanish recruit Bablo Aracil scored in the 71st minute.
This was Mohun Bagan`s second successive win in the group league after their 3-0 victory over Pune FC as they virtually sealed a semifinal berth, leading the table with six points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre