EB in semis; Bagan ride in Odafa five-star act
Siliguri/Kalyani: Defending champions East Bengal stormed into the semifinals of the 117th IFA Shield with a 2-0 win over United SC in Siliguri on Friday.
Edeh Chidi was the star of the match as he struck a double (51st and 75th) after a goalless first-half as East Bengal topped Group A with an all-win record from three matches of the quarterfinal league.
But the day belonged to Odafa Okolie who fired in five goals in another match at Kalyani to power Mohun Bagan to a 5-1 win over United Sikkim.
In the Group B quarterfinal league, the Nigerian `goal machine` opened the scoring in the 29th minute to give a 1-0 lead at halftime.
Goals rained after the break as Odafa toyed with United Sikkim defence, firing in four in 66th, 85th, 89th and 90+1st minutes.
The Bhaichung Bhutia-owned outfit pulled one back when their Spanish recruit Bablo Aracil scored in the 71st minute.
This was Mohun Bagan`s second successive win in the group league after their 3-0 victory over Pune FC as they virtually sealed a semifinal berth, leading the table with six points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chase master Kohli stars as India beat Kiwis by 7 wickets, lead series 2-1
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption