Ecuador`s Emelec gear up for the Libertadores Cup
Quito: Ecuador`s national football champions Emelec are fully prepared for Wednesday`s Libertadores Cup match against Brazilian Cup winner Flamengo.
The hosts, led by its Argentine-Bolivian coach Gustavo Quinteros, look for a win at home in order to seek the last chance for the knockout stages, reported Xinhua.
"We hope to have a good game against Flamengo. I think we have enough to advance in the tournament," Quinteros told reporters Tuesday.
Emelec now occupies the third place in Group 7 with six points after five rounds, while its rival Flamengo only got four points. The leader of the group is Bolivia`s Bolivar with eight points, followed by Mexico`s Leon with seven points.
Domestic league leaders Emelec will come into this game after a 3-0 road loss to Leon.
Meanwhile, the Brazilian club, coached by Jaime Almeida, is already in Guayaquil for the match Wednesday.
Flamengo`s Frickson Erazo told reporters he has well studied his opponent and is aware that a victory will help them keep alive the hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages of the tournament.
"We come with the goal to win because we have to stay alive in the tournament. Emelec is a good team but we have been prepared for this match," said Erazo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'