Ecuador striker Benitez dies age 27
Ecuador: Ecuador international Christian Benitez passed away on Monday age 27, his club El Jaish have confirmed.
The striker, nicknamed Chucho, had recently completed a move to the Qatari outfit from Club America but he has passed away before making his debut, though there are conflicting reports as to how he died.
"The club sends its condolences to Ecuadorean Christian Benitez, a professional footballer who died this morning," El Jaish wrote on their official Twitter account.
Ecuadorian team-mate Antonio Valencia of Manchester United expressed his condolences having been informed of Benitez`s death.
"You`ll always be my brother. This pain is hard, my brother, but we love you," the winger, who also played alongside the 27-year-old at El Nacional, posted on Twitter.
Cleber Chala, another former team-mate of Benitez`s at El Nacional, tweeted: "You will live in our hearts forever, Chucho."
The ex-Santos Laguna and Birmingham City forward appeared 58 times for Ecuador during his career, scoring 24 goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers