Ecuador striker Valencia poised to join Hammers
Ecuador striker Enner Valencia is on the verge of joining English Premier League side West Ham from Mexican outfit Pachuca, subject to a medical, reports suggested on Monday.
Valencia, 25, attracted a number of potential suitors following his performances at the World Cup in Brazil where he scored all three of his country`s goals.
It appears West Ham have fended off the competition in the race to sign Valencia although Pachuca chairman Jesus Martinez insisted the Ecuador star would only be allowed to leave for a Mexican league record fee.
Reports indicated the Hammers would have to spend close to the £15 million ($25.7 million, 18.9 million euro) sum the east London club forked out to bring Andy Carroll to Upton Park from Liverpool last summer.
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce will be hoping the arrival of Valencia, who would represent the Hammers` fifth signing this transfer window, can provide competition for fellow striker Carroll, who was hampered by injury for much of last season.
The Hammers have so far brought in Argentine forward Mauro Zarate, Senegalese midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate, left-back Aaron Cresswell from Ipswich and Diego Poyet, the son of Sunderland manager Gus Poyet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!