Ecuador striker Valencia poised to join Hammers
Ecuador striker Enner Valencia is on the verge of joining English Premier League side West Ham from Mexican outfit Pachuca, subject to a medical, reports suggested on Monday.
Valencia, 25, attracted a number of potential suitors following his performances at the World Cup in Brazil where he scored all three of his country`s goals.
It appears West Ham have fended off the competition in the race to sign Valencia although Pachuca chairman Jesus Martinez insisted the Ecuador star would only be allowed to leave for a Mexican league record fee.
Reports indicated the Hammers would have to spend close to the £15 million ($25.7 million, 18.9 million euro) sum the east London club forked out to bring Andy Carroll to Upton Park from Liverpool last summer.
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce will be hoping the arrival of Valencia, who would represent the Hammers` fifth signing this transfer window, can provide competition for fellow striker Carroll, who was hampered by injury for much of last season.
The Hammers have so far brought in Argentine forward Mauro Zarate, Senegalese midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate, left-back Aaron Cresswell from Ipswich and Diego Poyet, the son of Sunderland manager Gus Poyet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP