Eden Hazard shuns rest to stay at best despite `Special` advice
London: Eden Hazard is disputing Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho`s assertion that the attacking midfielder is due a rest, the 23-year-old insisting that he plays consistently better when fed a steady diet of action.
"I don`t need rest, as I`ve said before, I`m at my best if I can play a lot of matches. But I must be aware that I don`t let myself burn out," the Belgian international told the country`s daily Het Laatste Nieuws in an interview published on Wednesday.
"I`m in a good rhythm, I`m getting a lot of game time. I did feel a little down in the first half against Fulham but it went much better in the second half," he said of Saturday`s 3-1 win in the London derby which saw Chelsea move four points clear at the top of the Premier league.
Before the match, Mourinho had told reporters he was hoping Hazard would not play in the midweek international, a World Cup warm-up against the Ivory Coast in Brussels later on Wednesday.
"He needs a rest," the Chelsea manager said last Friday.
"It`d be perfect if his national coach did not play him.
"He can not have a rest in the club. In the national team he doesn`t have to play friendly matches.
"He needs a rest and they could give him a rest. It`s important for us and I prefer him on the pitch even if he`s tired because I know he can produce things."
Hazard would not start for Belgium against the Ivorians but was expecting to come on from the bench, he said.
"I spoke to the coach (Marc Wilmots) about it and we will see how long I will play. He understands the situation, he`s not stupid. He knows I`m playing a lot."
Hazard told the Belgian daily he was in the best form of his career.
"That shows in the statistics and in the succession of matches in which I`ve played well. In my last season at Lille, I also had a good run, similar to now. I hope it will continue and that I will profit with both Belgium as well as Chelsea."
Hazard said his relationship with Mourinho was also going well.
"I find we have a normal relationship. If there are things to be said, he says them. If you are playing well, he says so. But if you are not, you also get to hear about it," he added.
"I prefer it if people say things to my face. He might be called the `Special One` but to me he is the `Normal One`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India