Egypt mourns soccer deaths, FIFA shocked at violence
London: FIFA president Sepp Blatter was left "shocked and saddened" after violent clashes in the Egyptian city of Port Said Wednesday night left at least 74 people dead and up to 1,000 injured.
Blatter in a writtten statement expressed his sympathy for the families of the victims.
"I am very shocked and saddened to learn this evening that a large number of football supporters have died or been injured following a match in Port Said, Egypt," the statement said.
"My thoughts are with the families of those who have lost their lives this evening. This is a black day for football. Such a catastrophic situation is unimaginable and should not happen," said Blatter.
The Egyptian federation issued two statements Wednesday and announced a period of mourning and a suspension of football league across the country.
"The Egyptian federation has decided to stop the football leagues in all four divisions for an indefinite period after the violence that occurred in the game between Al Masry and Al-Ahly, which represented a tragic shock to the centre of sport in general and the football family in particular," a statement said.
The other statement added: "The federation has announced that Egyptian football will be in mourning for three days for the souls of those who have fallen victim to the violence that occurred in the wake of the Al Masry-Al-Ahly match."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31