Cairo: The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has said it will be impossible to continue the football season after the country`s Interior Ministry asked for suspension of the premier league indefinitely over security concerns.
"Continuing the league has now become impossible within such a limited time," said EFA executive director Tharwat Suweilam in a statement Sunday.
The premier league has been suspended indefinitely since the toppling of former president Mohamed Morsi July 3.
Last year`s season was also cancelled after a tragedy in Port Said when dozens died and hundreds were injured in clashes between fans of Cairo-based Al-Ahly team and the host local team Al-Masry.
The Interior Ministry also refused to provide security in the CAF Champion League match between the two Egyptian rivals Al-Ahly and Al-Zamalek. The match was scheduled to be played July 21.
EFA is still discussing with the CAF and the two teams about the possibility of holding the match abroad.