Egypt`s premier league to be suspended
Cairo: The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has said it will be impossible to continue the football season after the country`s Interior Ministry asked for suspension of the premier league indefinitely over security concerns.
"Continuing the league has now become impossible within such a limited time," said EFA executive director Tharwat Suweilam in a statement Sunday.
The premier league has been suspended indefinitely since the toppling of former president Mohamed Morsi July 3.
Last year`s season was also cancelled after a tragedy in Port Said when dozens died and hundreds were injured in clashes between fans of Cairo-based Al-Ahly team and the host local team Al-Masry.
The Interior Ministry also refused to provide security in the CAF Champion League match between the two Egyptian rivals Al-Ahly and Al-Zamalek. The match was scheduled to be played July 21.
EFA is still discussing with the CAF and the two teams about the possibility of holding the match abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert