Egypt`s premier league to be suspended
Cairo: The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has said it will be impossible to continue the football season after the country`s Interior Ministry asked for suspension of the premier league indefinitely over security concerns.
"Continuing the league has now become impossible within such a limited time," said EFA executive director Tharwat Suweilam in a statement Sunday.
The premier league has been suspended indefinitely since the toppling of former president Mohamed Morsi July 3.
Last year`s season was also cancelled after a tragedy in Port Said when dozens died and hundreds were injured in clashes between fans of Cairo-based Al-Ahly team and the host local team Al-Masry.
The Interior Ministry also refused to provide security in the CAF Champion League match between the two Egyptian rivals Al-Ahly and Al-Zamalek. The match was scheduled to be played July 21.
EFA is still discussing with the CAF and the two teams about the possibility of holding the match abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report