Egypt`s premier league to be suspended
Cairo: The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has said it will be impossible to continue the football season after the country`s Interior Ministry asked for suspension of the premier league indefinitely over security concerns.
"Continuing the league has now become impossible within such a limited time," said EFA executive director Tharwat Suweilam in a statement Sunday.
The premier league has been suspended indefinitely since the toppling of former president Mohamed Morsi July 3.
Last year`s season was also cancelled after a tragedy in Port Said when dozens died and hundreds were injured in clashes between fans of Cairo-based Al-Ahly team and the host local team Al-Masry.
The Interior Ministry also refused to provide security in the CAF Champion League match between the two Egyptian rivals Al-Ahly and Al-Zamalek. The match was scheduled to be played July 21.
EFA is still discussing with the CAF and the two teams about the possibility of holding the match abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country