Egypt`s premier league to be suspended
Cairo: The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has said it will be impossible to continue the football season after the country`s Interior Ministry asked for suspension of the premier league indefinitely over security concerns.
"Continuing the league has now become impossible within such a limited time," said EFA executive director Tharwat Suweilam in a statement Sunday.
The premier league has been suspended indefinitely since the toppling of former president Mohamed Morsi July 3.
Last year`s season was also cancelled after a tragedy in Port Said when dozens died and hundreds were injured in clashes between fans of Cairo-based Al-Ahly team and the host local team Al-Masry.
The Interior Ministry also refused to provide security in the CAF Champion League match between the two Egyptian rivals Al-Ahly and Al-Zamalek. The match was scheduled to be played July 21.
EFA is still discussing with the CAF and the two teams about the possibility of holding the match abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post