Egypt soccer federation president, board resign
Cairo: The president of Egypt`s soccer federation and his board of directors resigned Saturday, having already been fired by the country`s prime minister following the riot at a game that left more than 70 dead.
Egyptian Football Association Samir Zaher also was reportedly banned from leaving Egypt pending an investigation into the country`s worst outburst of soccer violence.
Zaher and his board said in a statement they had "collectively resigned." They were fired by Prime Minister Kamal el-Ganzouri on Thursday following the deadly stadium clashes in a move that could have been seen as government interference, which is not allowed by soccer`s international governing body.
Saturday`s resignations will likely be accepted by FIFA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj