Egypt soccer federation president, board resign
Cairo: The president of Egypt`s soccer federation and his board of directors resigned Saturday, having already been fired by the country`s prime minister following the riot at a game that left more than 70 dead.
Egyptian Football Association Samir Zaher also was reportedly banned from leaving Egypt pending an investigation into the country`s worst outburst of soccer violence.
Zaher and his board said in a statement they had "collectively resigned." They were fired by Prime Minister Kamal el-Ganzouri on Thursday following the deadly stadium clashes in a move that could have been seen as government interference, which is not allowed by soccer`s international governing body.
Saturday`s resignations will likely be accepted by FIFA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonam Kapoor with Shah Rukh Khan in a film? Here's what the diva has to say!
- Space station gets ready for expansion of inflatable capsule 'BEAM' today
- India home to 56 of the world's 2,000 largest public companies: Forbes
- SRH vs KKR, IPL 2016: Kuldeep's spell; Yuvraj's knock; Bhuvi-Mustafizur's accuracy – three talking points
- This packing hack is just awesome! Watch video