Egypt soccer federation president, board resign
Cairo: The president of Egypt`s soccer federation and his board of directors resigned Saturday, having already been fired by the country`s prime minister following the riot at a game that left more than 70 dead.
Egyptian Football Association Samir Zaher also was reportedly banned from leaving Egypt pending an investigation into the country`s worst outburst of soccer violence.
Zaher and his board said in a statement they had "collectively resigned." They were fired by Prime Minister Kamal el-Ganzouri on Thursday following the deadly stadium clashes in a move that could have been seen as government interference, which is not allowed by soccer`s international governing body.
Saturday`s resignations will likely be accepted by FIFA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket