El Salvador risk FIFA ban over government intervention
London: El Salvador risk suspension from world soccer after the country`s government said it did not recognise a FIFA commission running its football federation (Fesfut).
World soccer`s governing body FIFA designated a commission last July to put the Fesfut`s books in order after its president Rodrigo Calvo resigned.
The Fesfut now wants to get back to normal and elect a new board but a government official told a news conference the commission, headed by FIFA delegate Reynaldo Vazquez, was illegal.
"For FIFA, the lack of recognition by the government is intervention," Vasquez was quoted as saying in local media. FIFA does not tolerate government intervention in football affairs.
Media warned a ban would prevent Salvadorean match officials Joel Aguilar, William Torres and Juan Francisco Zumba from going to the World Cup in South Africa which starts on June 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report