El Salvador risk FIFA ban over government intervention
London: El Salvador risk suspension from world soccer after the country`s government said it did not recognise a FIFA commission running its football federation (Fesfut).
World soccer`s governing body FIFA designated a commission last July to put the Fesfut`s books in order after its president Rodrigo Calvo resigned.
The Fesfut now wants to get back to normal and elect a new board but a government official told a news conference the commission, headed by FIFA delegate Reynaldo Vazquez, was illegal.
"For FIFA, the lack of recognition by the government is intervention," Vasquez was quoted as saying in local media. FIFA does not tolerate government intervention in football affairs.
Media warned a ban would prevent Salvadorean match officials Joel Aguilar, William Torres and Juan Francisco Zumba from going to the World Cup in South Africa which starts on June 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodies of 14 executed in Libya's Benghazi found: Medical Centre
- MUST WATCH: When Virat Kohli toyed with Aussie attack
- Shocking: Maoist cadre reveals how women are exploited sexually by commanders
- French police ask Nice to destroy CCTV images of attack
- India avoided adverse Brexit effect, now a safe haven: FM Jaitley