El Salvador risk FIFA ban over government intervention
London: El Salvador risk suspension from world soccer after the country`s government said it did not recognise a FIFA commission running its football federation (Fesfut).
World soccer`s governing body FIFA designated a commission last July to put the Fesfut`s books in order after its president Rodrigo Calvo resigned.
The Fesfut now wants to get back to normal and elect a new board but a government official told a news conference the commission, headed by FIFA delegate Reynaldo Vazquez, was illegal.
"For FIFA, the lack of recognition by the government is intervention," Vasquez was quoted as saying in local media. FIFA does not tolerate government intervention in football affairs.
Media warned a ban would prevent Salvadorean match officials Joel Aguilar, William Torres and Juan Francisco Zumba from going to the World Cup in South Africa which starts on June 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof