Elano strike lifts Gremio to fourth
Rio de Janeiro: Former Manchester City midfielder Elano scored with a second-half free-kick as Gremio moved to fourth in Brazil`s Serie A football championship with a 1-0 victory over Victoria.
The 31-year-old broke the deadlock Wednesday -- just minutes after being introduced by coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo -- with a curling 25-metre shot into the top corner in Porto Alegre.
"Irrespective of how many minutes I play, I want to help the team," Elano said after the match. "The goal is the fruit of hard work. I don`t want to cause controversy and will do as the coach asks of me."
The result lifts Gremio to seven points from three matches with a game in hand over top three Cruzeiro, Sao Paulo, Vitoria.
Meanwhile, Clarence Seedorf`s Botafogo lost their first match of the season, falling 1-2 to Bahia, while Sao Paulo suffered a shock 0-1 home defeat to Goias. Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo slipped to second last in the standings with a 0-1 loss to Nautico.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!