Elano strike lifts Gremio to fourth
Rio de Janeiro: Former Manchester City midfielder Elano scored with a second-half free-kick as Gremio moved to fourth in Brazil`s Serie A football championship with a 1-0 victory over Victoria.
The 31-year-old broke the deadlock Wednesday -- just minutes after being introduced by coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo -- with a curling 25-metre shot into the top corner in Porto Alegre.
"Irrespective of how many minutes I play, I want to help the team," Elano said after the match. "The goal is the fruit of hard work. I don`t want to cause controversy and will do as the coach asks of me."
The result lifts Gremio to seven points from three matches with a game in hand over top three Cruzeiro, Sao Paulo, Vitoria.
Meanwhile, Clarence Seedorf`s Botafogo lost their first match of the season, falling 1-2 to Bahia, while Sao Paulo suffered a shock 0-1 home defeat to Goias. Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo slipped to second last in the standings with a 0-1 loss to Nautico.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test