Elkeson says Ronaldo is inspiration for goal spree
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian forward Elkeson says Cristiano Ronaldo has provided the inspiration for his rich goalscoring form for Chinese football club Guangzhou Evergrande.
The former Botafogo player has scored 10 goals in five games since joining the Chinese club in January.
Despite looking up to former Brazil great Ronaldo Nazario, the 23-year-old`s playing style is modelled on current Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Brazilians all have an attachment to Ronaldo (Nazario) and he is my idol," Elkeson told Brazilian media. "My target though is to develop in the same way as Cristiano Ronaldo, even though the gap between us is obviously still very big."
Elkeson is impressed with the standard of football in China and says he is relishing the freedom of playing in an attack-minded team.
"I`m thankful to my teammates, especially Lucas Barrios, Dario Conca, Muriqui and Gao Lin. It`s those guys who allow me to get close to goal and give me time to shoot," he said.
"In China, we have a lot of freedom to create and there is less emphasis on defence. Attacking movements are even more decisive than in Brazil."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie