Emmanuel Adebayor stars as Sherwood`s Spurs extend league run
London: Emmanuel Adebayor scored twice as Tottenham Hotspur moved level on points with fourth-placed Liverpool in the Premier League after a 3-1 win away to struggling Swansea on Sunday.
Adebayor`s goals, separated by a Chico Flores own-goal, ensured Tottenham remained unbeaten in the league under manager Tim Sherwood, whose record now stands at five wins and a draw since the Englishman replaced sacked predecessor Andre Villas-Boas.
For Swansea, an eighth successive league match without a win left Michael Laudrup`s men just three points above the relegation zone.
The Welsh club had early chances at the Liberty Stadium, with Hugo Lloris saving Jonjo Shelvey`s long-range shot and striker Wilfried Bony hitting the crossbar when the France goalkeeper had been beaten by a powerful shot.
Swansea also had appeals for a penalty rejected by referee Martin Atkinson after Ivory Coast forward Bony was pushed in the back by Spurs defender Michael Dawson inside the box.
But, against the run of play, Togo international Adebayor gave Spurs a 35th minute lead when he powered in a header following an excellent first-time cross from Christian Eriksen.
And the north London side made it 2-0 in the 53rd minute when Flores turned Kyle Walker`s cross into his own net with Spurs` Nacer Chadli waiting behind him.
Spurs wasted a chance to make it 3-0 when Mousa Dembele shot wide with Adebayor unmarked just yards from goal.
However, Adebayor`s fury turned to joy when, moments later, Spurs again opened up the frail Swansea defence.
Danny Rose did not repeat Dembele`s mistake but instead squared the ball to Adebayor who tapped from in from close range in the 71st minute.
Bony pulled a goal back seven minutes later with a shot from the edge of the box but it was all too late for Swansea.
Sunday`s other top-flight match sees high-flyers Chelsea at home to Manchester United.
The Blues will kick off nine points in front of faltering champions United, who will be without injured striker Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie.
Victory for Jose Mourinho`s Chelsea would see them move to within a point of league leaders Arsenal.
By contrast, a United defeat at Stamford Bridge would increase the pressure on Red Devils boss David Moyes, whose team are currently an unusually lowly seventh in their first season since the retirement of Alex Ferguson, Britain`s most successful manager.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla