Emotional Jermain Defoe says farewell to Tottenham Hotspurs
London: Jermain Defoe admitted he was overcome with emotion as the Tottenham striker said farewell to White Hart Lane on Thursday.
Defoe, fifth on Tottenham`s all-time goal-scoring list, will jet off to Canada this week to start his spell with FC Toronto after agreeing to join the MLS club during the January transfer window.
The 31-year-old hit 143 goals for Spurs in two spells with the club and is their all-time leading scorer in European competition with 23 goals.
Defoe had hoped to make one last appearance in front of the Spurs fans when Ukrainian outfit Dnipro visited north London for a Europa League last 32 second leg tie on Thursday.
But, with a hamstring injury sidelining the England international, Defoe, had to say goodbye during half-time instead.
Former West Ham forward Defoe was given a standing ovation as he walked onto the White Hart Lane turf for the last time and, speaking in an on-pitch interview, he made it clear Spurs will always retain a special place in his heart.
"I`m speechless to be honest," he said. "I remember it like yesterday when I signed and walked onto the pitch and the reception was fantastic. It`s something I will always appreciate.
"I definitely have to say I will always remember the Wigan game when I scored five goals. I think I was the third player to get five in a Premier League game and to win a game 9-1 was a massive thing.
"I still think about the goals now and yes, I am going to miss this place, It`s been part of my life and my family, it`s a special place."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference