Emre Can`s calf injury overshadows Reds` friendly win
London: Emre Can suffered a calf injury on his Liverpool debut as the German midfielder limped off during his side`s 2-1 friendly win at Preston on Saturday.
Can, who moved to Anfield from Bayer Leverkusen for £10 million earlier this month, started for the first time at Deepdale, but the 20-year-old`s maiden appearance didn`t last long as he was taken off after just 20 minutes due to tightness in his calf.
He had already missed the midweek friendly against Danish side Brondby with a minor ankle complaint, but was cleared to feature against Simon Grayson`s League One outfit.
However, after getting a knock early on he was substituted with Jordon Ibe sent on in his place.
Can will now be assessed to see if he is fit to fly to the United States for the next stage of Liverpool`s pre-season preparations.
That injury blow overshadowed the Reds debut of England striker Rickie Lambert, who helped Brendan Rodgers` side come from behind to win.
Lambert, who supported the Reds as a boy, made his dream move to Anfield from Southampton in June and played 45 minutes at Deepdale before being replaced at half-time.
Philippe Coutinho, Fabio Borini -- who remains a target of Sunderland -- Joe Allen, Martin Skrtel and Jon Flanagan were included in a strong Liverpool line-up, but it was Preston who took the lead through Josh Brownhill.
Liverpool, however, scored twice in three minutes in the second half as Suso applied a curling finish in the 74th minute before Kristoffer Peterson side-footed home the winner.
Elsewhere on Saturday, Chelsea staged a late fightback to beat League Two minnows AFC Wimbledon 3-2 thanks to two goals from captain John Terry.
Nemanja Matic, Mohamed Salah and Kurt Zouma were all named in a young Chelsea line-up that fell 2-0 behind before half-time courtesy of Alan Bennett`s opener after 38 seconds and Matt Tubbs` penalty.
Terry was introduced at the interval and the centre-back scored two goals either side of Salah`s equaliser to seal a second pre-season victory for Jose Mourinho`s men.
FA Cup holders Arsenal eased to a 2-0 win at non-league Boreham Wood. Aaron Ramsey started for the Gunners alongside Carl Jenkinson, Nacho Monreal and Wojciech Szczesny but it wasn`t until the 68th minute that Kristoffer Olson gave Arsene Wenger`s side the lead.
Benik Afobe then made sure of the victory with a penalty late on. Sunderland beat Darlington 5-1 and West Bromwich Albion drew 0-0 with Wycombe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’