England defender Ashley Cole to miss Montenegro qualifier
London: England left back Ashley Cole will miss Friday`s World Cup qualifier against Montenegro with a rib injury and will be replaced in the squad by Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs, the FA said on Monday.
Chelsea defender Cole, who was substituted in his side`s 3-1 win at Norwich City in the Premier League on Sunday, had a scan on the problem which his club manager Jose Mourinho said had been troubling him for some time.
The 32-year-old, who has won 105 international caps, will remain with his club for treatment, the FA said in a statement on its website.
England need to beat Montenegro at Wembley and Poland four days later to guarantee World Cup qualification.
Cole started England`s last two World Cup Group H qualifiers, a 0-0 draw with Ukraine on September 10 and a 4-0 win over Moldova four days earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill