England defender Ashley Cole to miss Montenegro qualifier
London: England left back Ashley Cole will miss Friday`s World Cup qualifier against Montenegro with a rib injury and will be replaced in the squad by Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs, the FA said on Monday.
Chelsea defender Cole, who was substituted in his side`s 3-1 win at Norwich City in the Premier League on Sunday, had a scan on the problem which his club manager Jose Mourinho said had been troubling him for some time.
The 32-year-old, who has won 105 international caps, will remain with his club for treatment, the FA said in a statement on its website.
England need to beat Montenegro at Wembley and Poland four days later to guarantee World Cup qualification.
Cole started England`s last two World Cup Group H qualifiers, a 0-0 draw with Ukraine on September 10 and a 4-0 win over Moldova four days earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account