England defender Baines may return for Everton on Thursday
London: England left back Leighton Baines is likely to make his comeback from injury in Everton`s Premier League home match against bottom of the table Sunderland on Thursday.
The defender has been out for five games since fracturing his toe in the 3-3 derby draw against Liverpool last month.
"Leighton Baines is getting really close and I think it`s fair to say that, depending how today and tomorrow go, he should be available," Everton manager Roberto Martinez told a news conference on Monday.
"We have missed Leighton because you can`t underestimate his quality, experience and know-how."
Martinez praised Costa Rican left back Bryan Oviedo for his performances as stand-in.
"He has been terrific," said the manager, "but you want good players in good moments of form to be available".
Fourth-placed Everton, who have lost only one league game all season, were unbeaten in the five matches Baines missed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- CBI raids Viswa Bharati University over alleged irregularities by sacked Vice Chancellor
- Akshay Kumar bats for insurance for stuntmen in Bollywood
- Summer special: Fashion trends to watch out for
- Facebook blocks pic of plus-size model Tess Holliday, apologises later
- Brazilian research proves Aedes aegypti mosquito as source of Zika virus!