England defender Baines may return for Everton on Thursday
London: England left back Leighton Baines is likely to make his comeback from injury in Everton`s Premier League home match against bottom of the table Sunderland on Thursday.
The defender has been out for five games since fracturing his toe in the 3-3 derby draw against Liverpool last month.
"Leighton Baines is getting really close and I think it`s fair to say that, depending how today and tomorrow go, he should be available," Everton manager Roberto Martinez told a news conference on Monday.
"We have missed Leighton because you can`t underestimate his quality, experience and know-how."
Martinez praised Costa Rican left back Bryan Oviedo for his performances as stand-in.
"He has been terrific," said the manager, "but you want good players in good moments of form to be available".
Fourth-placed Everton, who have lost only one league game all season, were unbeaten in the five matches Baines missed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt