England mid-fielder Rodwell says Man U were there for the taking
London: England mid-fielder Jack Rodwell has reckoned that Manchester United were there for the taking on Saturday, and was a shadow of the team Everton faced a year ago.
"They managed to keep us out of their penalty box, but they weren`t the same side either, and we definitely think it is a chance missed,” a daily quoted the 21-year-old football star, as saying.
"In the second half we were pushing forward as they sat back a lot. We just lacked that creativity in the final third. We had a lot of possession and they were there for the taking, but we didn`t capitalize," he added.
Rodwell reckons last weekend`s 6-1 derby mauling by Manchester City swayed boss Alex Ferguson into a more safety-first approach — and pulling Wayne Rooney back to run the engine room in midfield.
"Obviously they`d looked at the goals they conceded last week when players were bombing forward. Maybe they felt vulnerable and they didn`t want to go as gung-ho," Rodwell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why