England mid-fielder Rodwell says Man U were there for the taking
London: England mid-fielder Jack Rodwell has reckoned that Manchester United were there for the taking on Saturday, and was a shadow of the team Everton faced a year ago.
"They managed to keep us out of their penalty box, but they weren`t the same side either, and we definitely think it is a chance missed,” a daily quoted the 21-year-old football star, as saying.
"In the second half we were pushing forward as they sat back a lot. We just lacked that creativity in the final third. We had a lot of possession and they were there for the taking, but we didn`t capitalize," he added.
Rodwell reckons last weekend`s 6-1 derby mauling by Manchester City swayed boss Alex Ferguson into a more safety-first approach — and pulling Wayne Rooney back to run the engine room in midfield.
"Obviously they`d looked at the goals they conceded last week when players were bombing forward. Maybe they felt vulnerable and they didn`t want to go as gung-ho," Rodwell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion