England not among top seeds for 2014 Brazil World Cup despite rising to 10th in FIFA rankings
London: Soccer nation England will not be one of the top eight seeds at next year`s World Cup in Brazil even after sealing qualification with a 2-0 win over Poland on Tuesday and will face one of the top-ranked nations in their group matches.
According to the BBC, FIFA`s latest world rankings determined the top seeds for the 2014 tournament.
However, boss Roy Hodgson said that he is not worried whether his team is first or second out of the hat when the draw takes place on 6 December, the report said.
The Netherlands, who were runners-up in 2010, and 2006 winners Italy are also unseeded, the report added.
Switzerland, Belgium and Colombia are seeded following the release of the rankings on Thursday by football`s governing body, the report further said.
Hosts Brazil and the remaining top seven ranked qualifiers will be kept apart in the group stages of next year`s tournament, according to the report.
England will have to face one of Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Colombia and probably Uruguay, the report mentioned.
Meanwhile, French coach Didier Deschamps criticised the system saying that it was not very logical from his point of view.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh