England`s Wilshere could miss Holland friendly
London: England midfielder Jack Wilshere could miss his country`s friendly against Holland on August 10 after suffering an ankle injury in Sunday`s 1-1 draw against New York Red Bulls in the Emirates Cup.
Wilshere was forced to come off after only seven minutes of the pre-season match after taking a kick on the ankle and Gunners manager Arsene Wenger doesn`t expect the teenager to be back in action for a week.
The 19-year-old has an ankle inflammation and, although Wenger hopes he will recovery within a few days, he admitted he wouldn`t play for England if he cannot feature in Arsenal`s friendly against Benfica next weekend.
That would be a blow to England coach Fabio Capello, who plans to build his midfield around Wilshere and is already without Steven Gerrard and Theo Walcott for the clash against Holland.
"The England game is on August 10 and I don`t know whether he will be available. They told me he might be out next week," Wenger said.
"If he is out next week, he will not play against Benfica so he will certainly not play for England.
"They say he might be out for the whole of next week because he has an ankle inflammation. But he has not torn anything. It is not very serious.
"He is a quick healer usually and a tough boy so I hope he will be quicker than the medical predictions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists