England skipper Gerrard ‘vows’ not to leave team Ferdinand-style
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has vowed that he will never turn his back on his country like Rio Ferdinand, saying that he wants to lead his team to the World Cup in Brazil.
Gerrard said that he does not know the complete details behind Ferdinand’s withdrawal, adding that playing for England is the pinnacle of every footballer’s career.
Insisting that he is still physically fit, Gerrard said that he does not feel drained out by his workload as he faithfully works according to a personal training regime.
Gerrard will lead out England tonight against tiny San Marino while Ferdinand, who controversially withdrew from the squad, will be commentating on the game in a TV studio in Qatar. Meanwhile, Manchester United defender Ferdinand`s decision to pull out of the England squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers has most probably signaled an end to his international career.
Ferdinand on Monday delivered a humiliating and potentially damaging snub to boss Roy Hodgson by turning down the chance to play for England in order to safeguard his United future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad