England skipper Gerrard ‘vows’ not to leave team Ferdinand-style
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has vowed that he will never turn his back on his country like Rio Ferdinand, saying that he wants to lead his team to the World Cup in Brazil.
Gerrard said that he does not know the complete details behind Ferdinand’s withdrawal, adding that playing for England is the pinnacle of every footballer’s career.
Insisting that he is still physically fit, Gerrard said that he does not feel drained out by his workload as he faithfully works according to a personal training regime.
Gerrard will lead out England tonight against tiny San Marino while Ferdinand, who controversially withdrew from the squad, will be commentating on the game in a TV studio in Qatar. Meanwhile, Manchester United defender Ferdinand`s decision to pull out of the England squad for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers has most probably signaled an end to his international career.
Ferdinand on Monday delivered a humiliating and potentially damaging snub to boss Roy Hodgson by turning down the chance to play for England in order to safeguard his United future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary