England star Walker signs new deal at Spurs
London: Tottenham defender Kyle Walker has signed a new contract keeping him at the Premier League club until 2019.
Walker has become a key figure at right-back for Spurs since arriving from Sheffield United in 2009 and has also broken into Roy Hodgson`s England team.
The 23-year-old was voted the Professional Footballers Association Young Player of the Year for 2012 and has made 112 appearances for the north London club.
"It`s fantastic," Walker said on Monday. "When I first signed here at the age of 18, I always wanted to make it a long stay.
"The lads are fantastic as well as the manager and everyone surrounding the club - it just makes it a lot easier when they do offer you a contract to sign it.
"I`m very thankful to the chairman Daniel Levy for giving me an extension on the contract and hopefully I can repay him by putting the performances in on the pitch and getting that top four spot."
Walker made his Tottenham debut in a 2-0 win over Portsmouth in March 2010 but played just once in the following season before being sent to QPR then Aston Villa.
Having proved his credentials on loan, he forced his way into the Tottenham first team and stayed there for the duration of the 2011-12 campaign.
A month later he made his England debut at Wembley as a substitute against Spain and was handed his first start four days later in a 1-0 win over Sweden.
Walker has won nine caps to date, the last of which came in the 4-1 victory over Montenegro, and is vying with Liverpool`s Glen Johnson for the starting berth at next year`s World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP