England team should have English players, says Wilshere
London: It would be wrong for Manchester United`s Adnan Januzaj to play for the England team as only English people should be selected, Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has said.
Januzaj was born in Belgium to Kosovan-Albanian parents and has Turkish grandparents but could qualify for England under FIFA rules if he is resident in the country continuously for five years.
"If you`ve lived in England for five years, for me, it doesn`t make you English. You shouldn`t play," Wilshere was quoted as saying by British media on Wednesday.
"If I went to Spain and lived there for five years, I`m not going to play for Spain. For me, an English player should play for England really," added the midfielder who is in the squad to face Montenegro in Friday`s World Cup qualifier.
Januzaj, 18, who hit the headlines after scoring twice for United in the 2-1 Premier League win over Sunderland last weekend, has not won a cap for any country and would have to wait until 2018 if he wanted to represent England.
His performances have caught the eye of England manager Roy Hodgson, who has said Januzaj was being monitored.
"We have to remember what we are. We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat," said Wilshere who drew criticism recently after being photographed with a cigarette in his mouth.
"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that."
England under-21 manager Gareth Southgate compared the situation to that of the national cricket team, which has several overseas-born players.
"We seem to have embraced the cricket team that has won the Ashes, but it is a really interesting, philosophical debate," the former England defender said.
"It`s a difficult one. He`s (Januzaj) not played for anyone else.
"I`m torn with it. The world is changing. People move and work abroad. It is important to know why someone wants to play for you."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery