English club Portsmouth ordered to wind-up
London: English football club Portsmouth, which been suffering severe financial troubles, has been handed a winding-up petition by the Her Majesty`s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) over an unpaid tax bill.
The club, situated on the south-coast of England, is currently placed 17th in the Championship (second tier).
"Ensuring tax is paid on time should be at the centre of a football club`s business strategy," an HMRC spokesman was quoted as saying by ESPN Soccernet.
"Anyone that regards paying tax as an option, or that uses tax collected from employees or customers as working capital, is potentially heading for trouble.
"While a winding-up order is a last resort, there is little HMRC can do for a business - be it a football club or not - whose viability is dependent either on not paying the UK taxes to which they are liable, or on special treatment not available to other customers with similar tax affairs."
The club had gone into administration in 2010 and were docked points resulting in their exodus from the Premier League. The demotion to a lower league costed Portsmouth more and in a bid to make money they had to sell key players.
The club were also accused of not paying their players any salary, resulting in severe criticism from the Professional Footballers Association (PFA).
"This period, while we search for a new owner, was always going to be difficult from a cash flow point of view," Portsmouth chief-executive David Lampitt said Saturday. "We are in a difficult position and will remain in a difficult position until the ownership is sorted.
"The club does not have the funding that would have been there if our previous owner had been in place. It has been a difficult two months to balance the financial position of the club."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India